Crunchy, yummy, toasted nut clusters that make a great replacement for cereal or granola. Paleo, vegan, grain free and gluten free.
(Makes a decent batch)
2 cups of mixed nuts (I used almonds, cashews, macadamias and walnuts – you could also add sunflower seeds and pepitas)
1/4 cup shredded coconut
4 tbsp chia seeds
1/2 cup warm water
2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
1 tbsp maple syrup
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp vanilla
1. Preheat your oven to 160ºC. Mix the chia seeds and warm water together in a bowl, and leave to sit so that the chia can absorb the water.
2. Using a food processor, grind the nuts up into chunks, being careful not to over-process them or you’ll end up with nut meal.
3. Stir the coconut and cinnamon into the nut mixture.
4. Once the chia seeds have become gluggy, combine with the coconut oil and vanilla, maple syrup and add to the nut mixture. Mix everything together really well, trying to get the chia mixture to surround the nuts and essentially hold them together.
5. Spread the mixture over a baking tray lined with baking paper and smooth it into an even layer using the back of a spoon.
6. Cook in the oven for 30-35 minutes, until golden and crispy most of the way through. The nuts and seeds will continue to cook a little after you remove it from the oven, so it’s okay if some parts are still a little soft.
7. Leave to cool before breaking into pieces and storing in an airtight container. You could also break this into bigger chunks to eat as a museli bar.
8. Enjoy with some almond milk or coconut yoghurt and berries.